Best Breakfast @ Dench Bakers, Scotchmer Street, North Fitzroy

I'm lost. Again. Instead of turning right into Scotchmer Street, I walked another block down Nicholson Street. That was why I ended up sitting outside Dench Bakers. It's 9am and it's cold. Sigh. But the food and the service were as warm as ever. I was looked after decently, unlike some experiences where the servers don't really care as much as their next customer, unless you're their friend. There were a series of unfortunate events today. Aside from sitting outside in the cold, I wasn't able to take pictures inside Dench Bakers. Next unfortunate event was that I didn't bring enough cash to stash more pastries other than two croissants back to the city.

Breakfast. Potato rosti, smoked salmon, lemon and dill dressing, rocket and 2 poached eggs. Lovely. I don't know how it all worked so well together but they did. Slight crunch and warmth of the potato rosti with the smoked salmon enhanced the richness with the silky yolks of the poached egg then the fresh bitter rocket leaves came along, the final straw was a few drops of fresh lemon. Delish! My mind was rolling, thinking how to replicate the potato rosti.


I double ordered. I called for a piece of blackberry danish. My fault entirely. I allowed myself to be seduced by this delicious piece of pastry...warmed. I've had no formal experience in tasting danishes but I know I found a good one. Or, the best one I've had in Melbourne. I bit into the crisp danish and I can feel the layers and layers of snaps and softness on my teeth. As I chewed away, the sweet and slightly buttery tastes melded so well together, I wanted another bite. Now. It didn't end there. I came to the center, with the thin layers of custard underneath those fresh blackberries. That's another story of delight. It was a tangy, juicy and the perfect sweet sensatin just oozing into your mouth. I can't think of a better pastry to match this one.


The breakfast experience that I've had left me with mixed feelings. Happy because of the great breaky and pastry. Sad because I should've brought more cash!

Comments