Two Week Wait: Yu-u @ Flinders Lane

Yu-u presents many firsts to me. First restaurant where I waited for two weeks to have a booking. First restaurant to have the dodgiest looking entrace door. First restaurant where taking photos of the food isn't allowed. I guess maybe there are several restaurants out there that have all of these, but for me, these are firsts. Entering that dodgy door really meeant entering into Yu-u's extremely zen and minimalist world of good old Japanese hospitality and, of course, food. Preventing me from taking photos really didn't stop me from enjoying Yu-u's delicate and somewhat unique yet authentic dishes. They are all consistent, decorative in a minimalist way, authentic and delicious. I have to also mention that all the earthen wares used to present the food in, I think, are hand made from a Japanese artist. I had a total of 2 cold dishes, 3 hot dishes, 1 dessert and 50mls of hot sake.

I think that if I didn't mention the hot sake here, I'll be missing a huge part of the meal. 50mls of hot sake (Homure). Honestly, I'm not an avid drinker, but in my opinion, it's the best one I've had. The heated sake really uplifts the flavor and once swallowed down, gives a crisp, clear finish. Almost leaving you with the feeling that nothing happened. First sensation was the warm, fruity and floral taste of the sake sweeps around your tongue with a hit of sharp alcohol but that will make you gasp, then takes you home to a nice and sweet ending.

First dish: Buri Sashimi - Definitely one of the freshest and best I've had. The meat of the fish is taut and firm, none of the squirmishness. It is slightly cold but not too warm to kill all that freshness. This is the first plate of sashimi that where I took a bite without totally submerging the piece of flesh into wasabi and soy sauce. That is how fresh it is. Truly, I can feel the respect and care taken into the preparation of this dish. I've read from several sites raving about the Buri Sashimi and I'm glad I've tried it.

Second dish: Avocado and salmon in miso paste - Ok. At first I thought this is really something weird and I contemplated on whether I should order it or eat it when the dish actually came. Cubed pieces of coral colored salmon and ripe green avocados marinated in white miso paste with a light flavor of rice wine. The miso wasn't overpowering at all and went incredibly well together with the sashimi and avocado. It was mild without compromising the taste of the white miso but not too salty that it cooked the sashimi. I looked a bit frightened when the small dish came, but after taking a bite, I knew that it's going to be one of the best dishes of the night.

Third dish: King George Whiting Tempura - This dish sounded ordinary. Yes, that's a given but every bit as perfect as it's predecessors. Fish? Fresh. Tempura batter? Light. Definitely top-notch and well executed tempura dish. The batter is crunchy and is able to keep the fish moist inside. Dipping it into the tempura sauce is pure heaven. I think I haven't had tempura this good for a long, long time. I've had and made my share of tempura in the past and Yu-u's version beats all. (Yes, that includes Sugi).

Fourth dish: Steamed Prawn Dumplings - Don't look down on these dumplings because there is nothing ordinary about them. These little babies are hand-made (recommended by my server) and full of minced prawns. I think there is nothing there but minced prawns. Then, these are wrapped in what looks like two types of noodles, egg (yellow) and rice (white). So, imagine yellow and rice strings wrapped around minced prawns, swimming in a light soy-based broth. The dumpling itself is light and not seasoned. The wrapping added a soft texture as you bite into it and remember to dip it in the broth. Need I say more? I resisted the urge of drinking the broth from the triangular bowl.

Fifth dish: Wagyu Beef wrapped around spring onions and cooked in teriyaki sauce - This seems ordinary to me. And indeed it is. I think this receives the lowest rating for tonight. Thin slices of wagyu beef are a bit sinewy and stringy and wrapped around spring onions in teriyaki sauce. Still, it is a better version of this dish that I've had before.

Sweet dish: Home made cream caramel - Oddly enough, I've never seen a Japanese establishment serving cream caramel. Again, ordinary and nothing spectacular but it is extremely light and not too sweet. The caramel is slightly burnt for me but it is a matter of preference, of course.

I could have opted for other dishes in the menu like the yakitori or the deep fried beancurd but I'll save that for another time. There is also another item on the menu that I noticed. It's the cold soba but you have to let them know that you want to order it because it's subject to availability. Sigh. Even sobas have to be reserved.

Comments