Swanky Dinner @ Babalu Bar, Lorne, Victoria

Early night dinner at Lorne is a good idea for me. Being my first weekend out in the country, I wanted this experience to be as unique as possible. Unexpectedly, I took a recommendation from my hostess at La Perouse along Mountjoy Parade. I didn't have dinner plans so this suits me perfectly. Being the early bird that I am and no reservation, my nice server ushered me to the bar. The bar area is quite comfy and everything dimly lit. It is really a simple, typical Spanish bar but is the top of the line when it comes to diners that are frequenting Lorne. They say that Sundays are definitely better but I went in on a Saturday night.


Entree: Fresh grilled sardines

This is most certainly a top notch dish. Fresh sardines with simple salad underneath with a squeeze of lemon. Slightly salty, meaty and has the taste of the sea.


Main: Oven Based Poussin with Lemon Olive Oil and Patatas Bravas


I waited for 35 mins for this dish and the result...the poussin is really tender and well-cooked. It is rather small but no compromise on the flavors. Incredibly lemony and I love the patatas bravas. Everything on the plate is well cooked and well presented. Just one complaint that I have. Way to lemoney for my taste and nothing to cut it really. Despite the lemon olive oil already on the plate, there is a slice of lemon on the plate! Aside from that, it is a well executed dish.


I love the atmosphere inside the Babalu Bar. It is refreshing but has that dramatic Moroccan feel. My server is highly efficient but a bit frantic since they were under manned that night. She was taking the responsibility on seeing that everyone has ordered, ushered to their seats, had their drinks and given good recommendations when they needed or wanted one. an hour well into service, two of her other waitresses arrived and saved her from flipping over. Technically, she handled it pretty well and very professionally. I commend her for that.

Comments