Pick Me Up Lunch @ Cumulus Inc., Flinders Lane

I know that I just went on a weekend out to Lorne, thinking that it would revive me but clearly, it didn't work out so well. Work has been stressful and I'm off to a bad week. Non-food related ranting aside, I took a day of leave to pick myself up again. I really had the full intention of idling around the apartment the entire day but the sun was up and it looked pretty fine outside. I thought that I might go up to the city for some lunch.

Cumulus Inc. is a brain child of Andre McDowell, the same genius who brought us Cutler & Co. Clearly, my expectations were set high as I enter Cumulus Inc. This small cafe has a no-booking policy, which makes it sweeter and more challenging to get a table, if you're two or more. I'm ushered to a table along the wall lined with black leather sofa, which is quite comfortable. The first thing that caught my eye was the bar. Instead of a wall, it is lined with square windows, lined with black metal. Wooden tables and chairs are dotted on the dining room. Across the bar is the open kitchen, where there is a long marbled bar-type seating. So, imagine, having parallel long bar inspired eating areas but one with dark wood and another with white marble. It looks contrasting but smart. My server already cautioned me not to order from the meat section except for the cassoulet since the meat portions can serve two or more people. So she gave one recommendation for me to try, which is my main.

Appetizer: Scallop with Speck and Raisin Vinaigrette

This one piece wonder is truly remarkable. I haven't seen it cooked like this before and it was a real treat both for the eyes and tongue. One single piece of scallop, wrapped smugly in speck, pan seared then topped with a raisin vinaigrette. The dressing is slightly sweet and sour so there is that good balance of flavor in just one bite. Underneath the scallop is a sort of puree. I think it is sligthly misplaced in a sense that it didn't do much for the overall taste.

Chartucerie : Smoked Wagyu tongue

This is actually the last dish to come to my table. Still, it is a good dish. There is that slight smokiness to the tongue but not salty. It goes well with a piece of bread or maybe hard cheese to give bit more saltiness but by itself, with a touch of the candied fruit, is very good cold cut.

Main (which is actually on the Salad section of the Menu): Tuna Tartare with Crushed Peas



My server recommended this to me twice. Ok. She said it is really good. Ok. It IS really good. I've never seen tuna this fresh in my life. The flesh is bright red in color, sleek but firm in texture and goes well down my throat with every bite. It's fantastic. Basically, it is fresh tuna simply dressed with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice, on top of a bed of crushed peas and creme fraiche. Pure tastes, simple and bright presentation and leaves a good impression on flavor.

Dessert: Warm chocolate pudding with peanut ice cream


Fortunately, I have to end with dessert. I opted for a chocolate one since I wanted something familiar and uplifting. It was the perfect ender for me. The moment the warm pudding hit my tongue, I melted. It was so good. It cured a part of my weakened soul and bite after bite, I know I can face the world again. The pudding was meltingly soft and not too goeey and the dark chocolate has a subtle yet extremely rich sensation on my tongue. Paired with the cold peanut butter ice cream, it's a perfect match.

One thing though about Cumulus Inc is that you sit too close to the table to your left and right--less than an arm's length. On my left, two gentlemen, where one is inquisitive on what I ate. He looked over to my tuna tartare and inquired whether it was good. I said yes and very fresh. He commented that it wasn't cooked. Right. That's how tuna tartare is supposed to be. Next, he inquired about the smoked Wagyu tongue. I told him that it was ox tongue. He was excited this time, because he seemed like a big meat-eater.

Sadly, what I can't have in the end, are two stomachs. Most of the tables with two or more people ordered the whole leg of lamb roast, which was superb (tables on my left and right ordered it). Sigh. That's one of the disadvantages of dining alone, you can't really share with anyone.

Comments