Shopping Break @ Oriental Tea House, Chapel Street, Prahran

Being oncall during weekend isn't fun. I was planning to shop at Chapel Street today when work caught up with me and I had to end it prematurely. On my way to the tram stop, I figured that I'm not leaving Chapel Street with an empty stomach so I walked my way to Oriental Tea House. This is my second time at this place, once was under a really tight budget. OTH is known for flavored teas and dimsums. Clientele would mostly be women and men (middle aged and old) who brunch and families who love their variety in dimsum. Apart from the mecca of all dimsum houses known as Hong Kong, Oriental Tea House would be the second place were I saw a long list of different flavored packets, steamed and fried.


There is a way that they serve these here. Contrary to what we know in HK where the servers walk around in trolleys, the servers here walk around in trays, since the floor is rather small for trolleys to fit onto. I think this is rather tiring for the waiters, asking each table whether they would care for 2 or 3 types of dimsums on their tray, each flavor served in 3 pieces, around 3 to 4 small bamboo steamers of each.


I ordered my favorite lemongrass and ginger green tea combination, hoping to forget tha fact that work will be calling me in an hour. The first server came over and offered me some fried items. I had the Fried Prawn Dumpling that came with mayonnaise. I ditched the mayonnaise and dug into the dumpling without the sauce. Wonton wrapper was crisp, though a hint of oiliness but the prawns inside were luscious. Not skimping here.



Next came the Scallop Dumpling I've been wanting to try. So indeed it's a Steamed Prawn Dumpling with a sliced Scallop on top. Flavorful and juicy. A nice combination of seafood in one bite.




Spring Rolls. Who would skip this delicious treat? Back in Manila, this is something of a bastard in form since the only thing inside is just minced pork. Here, it has shiitake mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, chives and minced pork. I'm also surprised that the cripsy skin is not too dark, but they got the crisp part just right. Very good.




Lastly, Steamed Duck Dumpling. I love anything with duck meat. So why not duck meat in a dumpling? Again, no skimping. There are huge pieces of duck meat and chives inside, steamed and bouncy in its own juices.

My day might have not been going well enough, but at least I had some time to have good dimsums.

Comments