SAZL Sweats: John Dory with Fennel and Silverbeet in Milky Sauce

I first had a taste of John Dory back in Manila, where we frequent the weekend Salcedo Market in Makati. We wanted to try the cream dory on sale but don't really know what to do with it. The idea came from the person handling the stall and he taught us how to make it steamed. That's the way we've been cooking dory or any white fleshed fish ever since. I've added the fennel in, that added another flavor to the dish but the best part is, the broth from the fish that combines with the butter and vegetables.



I got the John Dory fish fillet half-side whole with the skin on, so I filleted the fish into 4 pieces and arranged them on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. I used half of a white onion, thinly sliced, then placed them on top of the fish. Half of the fennel, thinly sliced, also to be placed on top of the fish. To prepare the butter sauce, melt one tablespoon of butter with some sliced garlic. As butter melts and you can smell the garlic from it, spooon this on top of the fish. Steam for 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve warm.

The overall taste of the dish is as good as I remembered. Whenever I make this dish, it will be wiped out in a heartbeat. The broth is sweet and the fish just flaky, it is a good dish to have on a cold afternoon or night. Don't forget to take a piece of bread to wipe out the sauce at the bottom.


Another dish that I've prepared is silverbeet. This is my first time to cook and eat silverbeet. According to the Gourmet Traveller May 2009 issue, this leafy veggie is in season so after a few clicks away, I pretty much had an idea on how to cook it. Simplicity is the key. Olive oil, sliced garlic, with chicken stock plus milk and grated parmesan. The result really is a tasty and warm dish as well. The leaves of the vegatable are quite firm and has that light crunch. I think it is a cross between spinach and chinese cabbage but nuttier. The stalks also tasted fresh and crisp though next time, I want to try cooking it with cream and a pinch of nutmeg for more flavor.




I'm on a quest to cook happy and stomach warming food, since living in a tropical country for most of my life, having autumn and winter seasons are not in my vocabulary. With some help from family and friends, I'm able to get some ideas on how to look for and cook certain dishes that may sound foreign to me. Autumn most certainly arrived in Melbourne and it brought a lot of exciting and seasonal food along with it.

Comments