Market Treats: Turkish Borek @ Queen Victoria Market

Along with the many immigrants from Turkey comes the food Melbourne came to love as borek. I've heard of this pastry, along with pide, has become a fast favorite here in the city. Well loved with its tasty meat, veggie, dairy and starch fillings, borek can be classified as both a snack and a main meal. When JJ and I went to our first market one weekend together, she often mentioned this food as we walk along the deli section. Shocked as I was, there were almost 20-30 people queueing up for freshly baked oven, hot and crispy. Today, the stall wasn't that cramped up at all, perhaps because it is already 12nn, so I hastened to queue up for a taste of it.

Borek, burek or byurek is a popular and everyday Mediterranean food. It also varies on the dough and filling, depending on which country you're in. In general, the pastry can be phyllo or any puffed pastry, ranging from savory to sweet fillings (meat to cheese to custards soaked in flavored sweet syrup). It can also come in different shapes--round, triangle or rolled.

So what does it taste like? Hmm--spicy, very tasty with lots and lots of onions. I can't taste any herbs but more on the flavor or onions, pepper and minced lamb. I can see pieces of tomatoes and minced carrots. Not as spectacular as I was expecting but I have to say that I love the crispy dough eventhough it was not made from phyllo.

Comments