Le Gourmandise: The List

Nope. I'm not totally eager to go home to Manila just yet. I was browsing through Saveur Magazine (April 2009 issue) last night for my usual bedtime story when the last page gave me the inspiration to write this article. Perhaps not the most inspirational to date but the pictures of fresh and dried herbs, oils, salts and cheeses made my eyes pop and think, that's what I want to have in my pantry. I thought that I still have a few months left to really think about what I want to take home with me. Of course, MoVida nor Vue de Monde would fit into my reasonably sized luggage but just a taste of them would somehow suffice. I've been pretty lazy these days, pushing back some foodie trips that I should have and would have taken any given Sunday. I hope that I will be able to read and re-read the list below so that it will get me inspired to go out and hunt these down:

1. Fleur de Sel - Yes. Lovely, faintly-pink colored sea salt. I would like to think that this is the Audrey Hepburn of sea salts. I saw just a small pack of these in the Salcedo Market and almost fainted when I saw the price for just a tinsey amount. Ridiculously expensive. Here, I can buy it for 250grams with the same price in Philippine peso. Along this line, a pack of Natural Black Sea Salts will also fit nicely into my suitcase and will always remind me of the good salt I had with my bread at the Press Club.

2. White Balsamic Vinegar - I think the only place where I've seen this is Santis Delicatessen in Makati. It is also a tad expensive because, well, it's white. Apparently made from white wine and aged well, has a syrupy, sweet, tangy taste more subtle than your regular dark colored balsamic vinegar.

3. Truffle Oil - Perhaps aptly called the King of Oils, adding just a small amount of truffle oil into any pasta dish, salad, or simple mashed potatoes will give another dimension and depth of flavor into your ordinary, boring meal.

4. Chilli Jam - If ever there will be a reason for me to go back to Prahran Market, it will be because I'll be packing this sweet little thing home with me. One of Jamie Oliver's recipes featured a home made chilli jam. Now, why chilli in a jar? It's heaven when spread on crackers or melted down into a sweet sauce with that right kick.

5. Jasper's Organic Fairtrade Coffee - Can't live without coffee. Can't live without the Cafe Feminino blend. Part of my morning ritual (when my Bialetti Stovetop Coffee Maker was alive, that is) is to have a cup of this delicious brew. It's full-bodied, rich yet subtle, with almost a rusty but sweet flavor. And the best thing is, part of the proceeds goes to the people who harvested and roasted these beans.

6. T2 Tea - Ahhh. Caffeine indulgence. This is most probably one of the Australian stores that I'll be missing when I leave Melbourne. One thing is for sure, I'll be hoarding white tea, green rose tea and chai tea. Hehe.

7. Chocolate Coated Orangettes - The only time I saw one of these things is at David Rocco's show, when he visited one of the many chocolate shops in Italy. He raved about his favorites, one of which was the candied orange covered in dark chocolate. And true enough, these are fantastic little pieces of fruit. Whoever thought of this creation is a genius.

8. Pedro Ximenez Dessert Sherry - This is a slice of MoVida that I want to bring back with me. Delicious wine when paired with any chocolate inspired dessert. I'm not sure if there is anywhere in Manila that sells this since it's the first time that I've heard of it. I think one of these won't be enough.

More to come....

Comments