Cold Autumn Day: Hot Vegetarian Noodle Soup

Melbourne is celebrating Buddha's Day this weekend. With events like these, food is always on the menu aside from the various activities and sing-song that are happening around. After taking a few shots with JJ on the main grounds, we went down to the Yarra River for some tasty treats.

Of course, everything on the menu was vegetarian from appetizers such as deep-fried pseudo-prawns to meatballs to dumplings, mains such as noodles, rice cakes and fried rice to dessert such as red bean cakes and pancakes. There were so many to choose from but since it is 15C today, I settled for the Vegetarian Noodle at one of the stands.


For a few bucks, I got my hot and spicy bowl of noodles with lots of veggies including bean sprouts, basil, mint, shredded regular and red cabbage. The broth is so good--spicy and quite tasty. I wasn't expecting this from its murky appearance. Now, I'm wondering what they put in to make the broth so tasty, considering that it's a vegetarian noodle dish. Unbelievable. I just wish its MSG-free. Yikes! Anyway, the broth is the clear stand-out of the entire dish. Reminds me of the Vietnamese noodles I've had with Ms MNG a few months back at Richmond. Two thumbs up!

Comments

Cindy said…
We visited the festival today and Michael ordered this too - it was one of the best things we tried. :-)
yup. the taste of that broth was just priceless. hope you guys enjoyed the festival! :)