Books for Cooks + Babka Afternoon

Something will always bring me back to Fitzroy and this time, it's every foodie's dream. Imagine a bookstore, created and dedicated to cookbooks of every cuisine in the world, plus more. I was actually looking for some unique shopping spots in Melbourne, when I stumbled upon this website. The website has some information on what the store is about but there is no catalogue or an ordering system yet. It said that they could not possibly stock every coookbook but they strive to store every good cookbook--old or new that they can find. And that they did.
As I entered the store, I know I'm home. Wall to wall shelves full of cookbooks, tables and chairs all stacked on top of each other, I was almost teary-eyed. I took my time and decided not to hurry as I worked my way around the cooking world, amongst different exotic cuisines crossing from the super modern to the centuries old disciplines. Finally, I know I would have bought something boring but quite useful, since I'm planning to watch what I eat (yeah, right). So, I thoroughly loved the experience and will some back again. The store keeper is also very friendly and chatted with the customers. She even recommended some restaurants for them to try and helped them make a booking.


After a few good hours in the store, I went my way to Brunswick Street. I settled for Babka for a quick, hearty bite and good latte. There were several people ahead of me, and I was the fourth person in line. Since I'm just by myself, less than 10 mins later, I got a seat by the window. I ordered a chicken and vegetable pie and a soy latte. While waiting, I took out the Steam It book that I bought a while ago, thinking on which recipes I would like to try out. It has a good range of recipes from starters, mains, salads and desserts. Would you look at that--steamed dessert. How good can it get? My pie arrived warm but smoking hot inside with huge chicken pieces and veggies. The chicken base is not from cream but it was thick and smelled delicious. I can smell some spices such as thyme and oregano.



One thing that I have to point out here that I forgot to take a snap of last time I ate at Babka, is their tomato sauce. Yes, that tiny bit there really packs a punch and I hope that they don't skimp on it because it tasted so good with the pie, tangy and sweet but a bit spicy too, which is good altogether.



As I paid for my bill, I ordered a pear and custard tart to take-away. I just can't resist skipping dessert at Babka because I was too full last time from the Pork and Veal Sausage Roll. So why not take it away? Now, my problem is, when will I be back?

Comments