Shopping Breaktime @ Mama Sousou, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy

This came unexpectedly as I'm tired from walking and all that shopping, I wanted to go home. I realized that I'm a bit far off from the tram route that I'm supposed to take, so I decided to stop by one of the many cafes along Brunswick. Mama Sousou caught my eye since there were a lot of people sitting outside under the shades. I went in and asked for a table for one. There were quite a few seats available inside, so I chose the one by the window. I wasn't hungry but needed a snack to go with my Limonata.


Next logical choice would be dessert and there's quite a few to choose from, being very French in interiors but also a bit swanky, I ordered their Apple Tarte Tatin with Buttermilk Sorbet. May sound traditional but with a twist of dairy-based sorbet instead of the usual vanilla ice cream.


Nina Simone and Ray Charles were playing in the background, reminiscent of the good old Southern rhythm and blues. Sometimes, the sounds would switch from French cabaret tunes to romantic sounds of that bygone era. Walls covered with old, washed-out posters with a humunguous black chandelier which made me feel like I'm inside someone's old French-style salon.


I just bought M.F.K. Fisher's Long Ago in Dijon book from a second-hand bookstore. So I rested my feet on the window pane (stealthily) and drank my Limonata on a slightly hot Melbourne day.
The apple tarte tatin didn't come for at least a good 15-20 minutes later. It was fresh from the oven, I can tell and the caramel was oozing out of the flaky crown of luscious apples. Honestly, it was too sweet for my taste but I reckon it would go well with tea or strong coffee. The buttermilk sorbet is another surprise, which I think aims to cut down on the sweetness of the tart but failed to do so.

Comments

Steve said…
It's actually "Madame Sousou" - 213 Brunswick St.