SAZL Sweats: Pork Loin Slices in Creamy Mushroom Sauce

Was really planning to make chorizo stew tonight but forgot that I already defrosted the pork loin slices that I've prepared last Sunday. The creamy sauce was an inspiration from Donna Hay's Magazine of Chicken with Mushroom and Tarragon Sauce, also creamy in texture.

After so much deviation from the original recipe and I got carried away with the idea of Ludo Cafe's delicious and juicy sage mushrooms with breakfast last time, so I wanted to make the sauce from that taste. I wasn't prepared with fresh herbs so all I used in this recipe were dried spices that were stocked in the pantry. The pork loin slices were originally and should be made into tonkatsu with bbq sauce, but they ended up with mushrooms and cream.

I have cooked dishes out of the blue or from memory of the magazines that I've been reading this month namely: Gourmet Traveller Australia (April 2009), Saveur (May 2009) and Donna Hay Magazine (April/May 2009). Donna Hay's magazine is just packed with so many recipes and articles, which really got me inspired and encouraged to make this recipe.



There are really no exact measurements, just remember to taste as you season and go along. I had some leftover garlic and lemon butter sauce from last night, so I just reheated that but olive oil is a good replacement. When hot, sautee the sliced mushrooms until cooked and dust a bit of dried sage into it, place them aside. On the same pan, lightly fry the pork loin slices just to give them color but not thoroughly cook it. Set them aside. To make the sauce, place the mushrooms back into the pan and add about 2 cups pork stock (beef or chicken is fine). Bring this to a boil and add the cream. It depends on how creamy you want, I added around 1/2 cup single pouring cream into this and added dried thyme and dried rosemary. Not too much of the herbs or it might be too strong and end up unedible. Cracked black pepper to taste. Added the pork loin slices back in and simmer over low heat for 10-15 mins. Salt to taste at the end. The result: creamy and very mushroom-y sauce. The apartment just smelled so good with the herbs from the sauce. Pork loin slices are just tender but not threading apart.
Improvements would include more browning of the pork loin slices, I think they still looked a bit pale. I'm thinking of adding onions to the recipe for flavor too.

Comments