Melbourne Fine Diner Series, Part II: Vue de Monde

Tingling sensation and pulsating nerves, that's how I feel whenever I know I'm about to enter the elegant and sophisticated world of French food. Vue de Monde had set its mark high up the list of French restaurants in Melbourne and around the world, dishing up traditional French cuisine to the novice and expert palates.





I was ushered to my seat and, undeniably, I got the best seat of the house. In front of me was where all the action is. The open kitchen. The sight and sounds of cooking and the chefs moving around the kitchen never fail to entertain and captivate me, as I inspect how every dish served out was prepared with precision and care.





I browsed over the wine menu and chose a Le Mont Chenin Blanc 2007 by the glass. I have no idea what this is honestly, but it tasted good. It's French white wine and embodied how French wines should be - light and fragrant to the nose. It was fragrant that I felt like I'm sitting outside with orange blossoms, amongst white linen covered tables and white painted metal chairs. It's got a clean taste that hits me every time and amazingly drinkable. I finished the entire glass in the middle of my main.




I opted for the three course Menu du Jour: main, entree, dessert and a glass of wine.


Main : CANNELLONI À LA TOMATE (Tomato cannelloni with green tomato gazpacho)





This is a well-rounded dish with sweet, tang and freshness all courtesy of tomatoes. I was surprised with how the tomato cannelloni was prepared where the tomato pasta contrasted with the soft white cheese squeezed in between. It was just a simple cannelloni but with the green tomato gazpacho, it was a deadly combo. Drop-dead sublime. I think I liked this the best of all entrees I've tried. The gazpacho complimented the tomato cannelloni well, along with the sweet baby tomatoes and basil-scented breadcrumbs, it's all good.


Entree : TRUITE AUX HERBES (Brook trout with sorrel three ways)





Brook trout is something new to me and I never went beyond salmon, cod and sole. This dish, though intricate in its own way, is a bit understated for me. I expected "three ways" to be prepared three ways (maybe three sauces or three methods of cooking), rather than the trout being arranged on three different areas on the plate. However, the spinach puree and sauce made up for that. The way that the trout was presented and cooked oozed freshness and dignity, without so much flare but honest and pure in taste. I spread the spinach puree onto the piece of trout, cutting through the flesh and seeing its white, firm flakes give way to by table knife. It wasn't too oily or rich or too sweet. It was not briny and did not take over the taste of the spinach. It is what it is. Fresh ingredients complimented each other well.






My entree was accompanied with a simple salad with fennel, baby tomatoes and hazelnut vinaigrette. The highlight of the salad was the vinaigrette. My first vinaigrette and it did not disappoint. The hazelnut puree with the olive oil was sweet and lovely amongst the crisp leaves and fennel.


Dessert: SOUFFLÉ À L’ORANGE (Orange soufflé with chocolate ice cream )




First time I've had orange souffle after the last time I've made it at culinary school. It brought back so many memories of my cooking days back in Manila. This version, however, was sweeter and the dark chocolate ice cream was the perfect combination to the orange souffle.


Finally, I had chamomile tea accompanied with sweets. The sweet part was a bit unexpected but it came with my tea, so I'm not complaining. From right to left : blood orange jelly, marble truffle, I forgot what this one was called but technically its orange rind and a piece of biscuit which tasted stale when it touched the tongue but turned sweet with a few drops of the lemon oil, biscuit pop with caramel and coconut, and dark chocolate with caramel sauce inside. The best one was the dark chocolate.

Comments