Market Breakfast @ Cafe Panette, Cecil Street, South Melbourne


Opening a cafe across a market is a good idea, you get to rest those tired shoulders and feet with a filling breakfast and a good cup of coffee. There was an event today at the city, which had be walking for an hour and a half before getting to the tram stop. It was a bit grueling, like I joined a walkathon before my breakfast. Good thing Cafe Panette was armed to the teeth to crank up a good breakfast for the weary walker.


Table for one was already set in place, waiting for me to sit and eat my breakfast. I ordered my usual skinny latte and a sweet muffin with the Sunday paper. The sweet muffin was the best I've had to date, every bite oozed butter and milk, then melted down to sweet and tang of peaches. It was so good, I wished I had the recipe. It wasn't massive, like the ones that regular cafes in the city would sell. It was just the right size, still warm and crumbly.

I had Joe's Melting Muffins. I was struggling whether to order Corn Fritters against it, but in the end, the bacon rashers were calling out to me. Simply, Joe's Melting Muffins had slices of avocadoes under tomatoes under bacon rashers under melted tasty Swiss cheese. I can tell that the cheese was melted through the salamander, just to get that browned and melted outside for the cheese. The dish was just enough for me, since I was a bit close to my "starving" level from all that walking.



The ambiance in the cafe made me feel at home, with the servers whisking to and fro. There were rustic paintings here and there, wood stacked on one side, ready to be fired (theatrically). I loved the way the hard-paned windows strategically placed between two-seater tables. It made the entire level felt intimate, almost like the perfect breakfast date for two.

Comments