Italian Breakie @ Ludo Cafe



I heard of Ludo Cafe in a lot of the Aussie breakfast blogs I've been visiting and all promised that Ludo Cafe won't dissapoint when it comes to serving up terrific coffee and eggs. I also read that Ludo can be quite full on weekdays, so I made it a point to wake up early to grab a good breakfast. And from the blogs that rate breakfast joints around Melbourne, I'm expecting breakfast from Ludo to be exceptional and Italian.

Ludo Cafe is considered small but inside can sit at least 20-25 people. Simple dark-coloured tables and chairs are positioned neatly and the espresso-maker cranking up freshly ground coffee beans greets you as you enter. So far, so good. Staff is friendly and efficient.
I opted for the Breakfast Special that was posted on the big chalkboard on the wall : Pesto Scrambled Eggs. Never had those in my life before and I wouldn't have attempted to make one myself. I imagine that the pesto would ruin the color of the scrambled eggs, making it green, spotty and unappetizing. So I ordered my green eggs with sides of mushroom and bacon.


Coffee is good at Ludo and I should say is one of the better lattes I've tasted around the city. It's just too bad that it's pretty far from my workplace. If I'd got a choice, I would get my coffee at Ludo's (and some other times at Breadwell's) every morning.



Warm scrambled eggs came on toast and, surprisingly, it's not green and runny. The scrambled eggs were creamy and light, just what I wanted my scrambled eggs to be. Add the fresh herbs in, kicks it up a knotch, making it sophisticated and tasteful. As I run my knife through the soft tower of eggs, reminded me of soft clouds on not so sunny mornings but it's good. Another thing to note here is the mushrooms with fried sage. One word: EXCEPTIONAL. I never had mushrooms that are huge in slices and also huge in flavor. I always knew that mushrooms worked well with thyme, but not with sage. The only fried sage I've seen on my plate was the Pumpkin Tortellini I had at Grossi Florentino's. I didn't expect that a humble cafe would whip up something like this on an early weekday morning. Hats off to the cook/chef!




I definitely want to repeat my Ludo Cafe experience soon. Good food + good coffee, straightforward comfort that gives me the right amount of fuel to kick start my day.

Comments