Food Tripping : South Melbourne to Brunswick

I created my agenda the night before, mapping out tram routes and tram stops from South Melbourne (including Port Melbourne) to Brunswick (Smith and Johnston Streets).



My first stop for the day was brunch at Cafe Panette (on a different blog) and had a walk around South Melbourne Market. The market is small but sells pretty much everything you need, smaller than Queen Victoria Market but not entirely lacking in variety. I walked along Cecil Street and saw people queueing up for Dimsum. I knew I had to buy some. People sat outside benches to consume the delicious morsel, which is pretty big from what I used to know about siomai in Manila. Sizes seem to be bigger here in Melbourne, that includes what they call "dimsim".






I walked from the City Road to Crockford Street to Bay Street (approximately 25mins). Along Bay Street are bakehouses and patisseries of all shapes and sizes. The first one that I stopped by was Melbourne Bakeshop, where it was cramped with people having breakfast. I saw them enjoying their meat pies. There were so many to choose from and all flavors have the word "steak" in them. I chose the steak and mushroom one to bring home.






Next stop was Noisette Boulangerie/Patisserie which was also cramped with breakfast people. They were enjoying their pastries which includes pain de chocolat, pear and chocolate danish, apricot danish, macaroons, mini cakes, baguettes, croque monsieurs, and so much more. I ordered their veggie quiche and almond croissant. I took all of the pastries home because I didn't want to stuff myself up before lunchtime.







I had a short walk along Port Melbourne Beach, just feeling the salty air on my face and the soft shell-crusted sand. There were seagulls and couples walking their dogs along the beach which made it almost picturesque but the weather today was dull, so the pictures that I took weren't great.


As I was walking back to York Street, I passed by Sweet Port where they sell every chocolate and candy imaginable and the best part of it all--Jasper's Organic Coffee. Great. It rivaled the good coffes I've had in the city and is worth stopping by next time. The owner was nice enough to offer me some easter egg shaped chocolates to go with my coffee. :)




Next is to take the tram to Brunswick. Brunswick is a whole different ballgame. Quirky, fun, colorful and outright adventurous. There were too many adjectives to describe it. This was my first time to go to Brunswick and on every corner I looked, there's something to see. A lot of the shops are selling second-hand clothes, books, shoes and small trinkets--the possibilities were endless. It would take you forever to look through each of the shops.




I had lunch at The Commoner, which was an incredible experience (on a different blog). My last stop was at Smith Street, by this time, it was raining hard outside. I sampled raspberry, passionfruit and plain chocolate truffles. They were all so good--rich, creamy and their fruit flavors really stood out well. I bought the orangettes and passiofruit flavors. I was hoping to get the chocolate covered almonds but they were sold out. Maybe next time. All in all, I had a incredible day full of eats and treats and unexpected surprises.













Comments