Brunswick Breaky @ Cavallero, Smith Street, Collingwood

Brunswick has fast been becoming my favorite spot for shopping, eating or just plain walking around when I'm in the mood. Of course, I had my day pretty much planned out today and breakfast is at the top of my list. Cavallero has been long raved as one of the hottest spots along Smith Street both as a sizzling bar at night then transforming into your family-friendly cafe in the morning, as if nothing happened the night before.





Walking into the cafe/bar really hit me with the feeling that it is clean, straightforward and no-nonsense. Interiors are simple and a bit on the "rough" feel, with only a few bulbs hanging down from the high ceiling and a deer's head mounted on the stark white walls just on top of the bar. Nice yet not intimdating for diners with or without their children and pets.


Food is also simple yet unusual on its own terms. The breakfast, lunch and dinner items are neatly printed on 100% recycled paper and presents produce as dictated by the season--autumn. Their breakfast menu is definitely not your average eggs and toast. Organic muesli, granola and free-range eggs are just among the ingredients that make up the menu, which implies that what they serve is genuine, should be good for you and house-made. I opted for the three egg omelette with chorizo, fresh tomatoes and tomato relish and my soy latte.


Coffee is good, well, pretty great actually and I wonder if its organic coffee as well. It is smooth, creamy and has a clean finish to it. None of the bitterness or acidity at the end of your palate, which makes you want to say "yack".


Excuse the Sports Section of the Sunday Herald on my table, I'm not a fan of any sort of sport here in Melbourne but seeing the place is already packed with early morning goers, the morning papers have been shred into pieces with only the boring sports section left. No offense to sports fans.


Ah, at last, my lovely three egg omelette. I'm a bit surprised that the omelette does not have cream or milk in it and the fresh chorizo is well, skimp. Fresh chorizo didn't came in chunks but in minced form and scattered inside the omelette with minced red onion. It was just ok by regular standard though the coffee and the freshness of the eggs made up for it.

Comments