Sunday Breakfast at Las Chicas (Carlisle Street, Richmond)



Woke up early enough to get to Las Chicas for breaky. According to a review, the place can be packed on weekends. I haven’t heard of the place but I hoped that the breakfast will be good. I love breakfasts! I think it is a good reason to wake up and just eat a lot, thinking that you can burn it off during the day. Eating a full breakfast can also ease hunger pangs (my next meal was 4PM) and set my mind off food…for a while at least.



My mind still wasn’t functioning efficiently and I stepped off 8 stops earlier than I was supposed to. Damn! So I walked 5-6 blocks just to get to Las Chicas. This was my first time along Carlisle Street, so I guess that’s a plus and I got to exercise with a low-batt brain. My walking and looking had me almost missed Las Chicas. Outside the store was colored with greyish almost black paint, with the letters in vertical.



Coffee arrived. It was good and gave the right buzz for my brain to function again. Mental note: Orange Café’s was better.



Surveying the place, it is a mixture of so many things: quirky and rustic to modern and sexy to warm and out-of-town feel. Seems like the place is trying to be everything at once…and who says you can’t?



Several reviews told me to order their special: BBB, short for Bikini Blowout Breakfast. I’m not really sure what it means, though. Two rounded poached free-range eggs smothered with hollandaise sauce, sitting on bacon and smashed avocado. And all this, sandwiched between sliced white sesame bagel. When I took a second look at my breakfast, the shape of the poached eggs looked like…uhmm…I’ll let you do the thinking =). So I dug in. I was in a dilemma. I didn’t know what was good about the combination but it sent a warm sensation from my palate to my digestive system. Sleek yolks + crispy, smoky bacon + creamy, rich avocado + slight tang of hollandaise. I savoured every mouthful, contemplating on what could have made the combo unique, tasty and out-of-this-world good.



Below was my first friand with raspberry. It was buttery and crumbly at the same time.



As I left Las Chicas, the tram stop back was just in front of the joint. The sun was just shining out, welcoming but with a cool wind to match. I figured that I wouldn’t mind walking a few blocks ahead. I walked away from Las Chicas with a full, happy tummy.

Comments