Quickie Friday Breakfast @ Breadwell Cafe, Flinders Lane

An empty tummy calls for breakfast on an early Friday morning. I've been convincing myself to try Breadwell for some time now. All the while, I'm thinking that this could be just your ordinary cafe, serving up the usual fare for early breakfast goers. My office is a few blocks away from the cafe, so why not?


Breadwell Cafe, by size, is small. And like most cafes, it's atmosphere is warm and welcoming, with a few staff and a guy who serves up the coffee at the bar for those dining in and taking them away to start their work day. Where Breadwell is different was these points: (1) almost everybody who orders coffee here, knows the guy who makes it, and his name is Paul, (2) breakfast is served quickly, and I do mean less than 5 mins, and (3) the place is packed to the rafters with office people hungry for a quick breakfast. Amazing. I didn't expect that Fridays at Breadwell Cafe would be so busy.



Taking in the interiors, three things caught my eye: (1) lovely Egyptian-themed light shades which give the room an almost stylish yet still down-to-earth feel, (2) romantic English style tea cups which they use to serve up long blacks and flat whites, then finally (3) Genovese coffee. Here's the thing. I always go for coffee at an Italian cafe in the Central Station and they serve up pretty good Genovese coffee. But, here in Breadwell, Genovese coffee is kicked up a knotch. It is down-right good. Creamy, no burnt aftertaste, smooth and luscious. It felt almost like drinking caramel...skinny caramel, that is. I'm attaching the cute sugar bowl on my table. Really sweet.


Menu ranges from the simple (regular fry-ups) to the quite exotic (Israeli breakfast) but, early in the morning, I'm not so ready to devour something from a far country. So I settled for Baked Beans with Spicy Sausage with a soft Poached Egg with Sourdough bread. There are several reasons to try this, one being that the closest thing I've eaten for baked beans is really a can of pork and beans back in Manila. Next, MNG loves baked beans with poached egg, which I really don't get (well, since I haven't tried it). And lastly, I haven't tried anything spicy for breakfast, until now. So all together, I'm a novice at the experience and I'm willing to try.

Breakfast arrived quickly so devouring is in place. At first, the dish looks oddly familiar, because I just tried the Baked Eggs at the Orange Cafe. Then again, it's not quite. The baked beans are naturally good, and they are not from the can. They are soft and fluffy then adding the yolky texture of the soft poached egg into it is just not easy to describe. It is definitely a textural thing but altogether is not bad at all. I think maybe it is meant to be that way. Steely, yolky texture of the egg with the sweet tang of the tomato sauce. The sausage is fresh and spicy which is another surprise for someone like me who is used to vacuum-packed sausages. Nice on a thick slice of sourdough. I just dipped pieces of the bread into the tomato sauce. Mmmm...





I've read from an article that Breadwell also offers different takes on their sandwiches and are deemed to be not so ordinary than the rest of the cafes out there. Maybe I'll grabe one soon, when I'm looking for something exotic, yet home-y.

Comments