Orange Café and minor Chapel Street Fare


I left the apartment late at 11am and went looking for a place that serves good breakfast at Chapel Street. I know that Chapel Street is renowned for its quirky shops and food. But where can I find one that is different? I think I’ve had enough of the usual fry-ups and eggs benedicts for now, so different is definitely what I’ll be looking for. I guess the fashionista in me was also craving for some serious shopping, so I walked along Chapel Street, hoping to pass by an interesting café to appease my hunger pangs. I passed by several cafés, all had that old school feel, jam-packed with people, who were still having breakfast at close to 12 mid-day. I saw Orange Café from across the street and just thought to give it a shot. Take note—there are two Orange Cafés beside each other and both are somewhat full, so imagine its popularity for those who know and live their lives around Chapel Street.



After a table for one was allotted for me and latte ordered, next is to determine what’s on the menu. It is the first time that I see baked eggs on the menu and the couple seated next to me are giving off oohhs and aahhs from their breakfast ordeal, so this is a good sign. There is a section called Grazing on the menu and it looks like servings of single treats—rabbit and quail line up the list. I’m not feeling so adventurous today to try rabbit (I’m reserving this for another day), so I went for the baked eggs breakfast with feta and chorizo and crispy spiced quail with lemon.



Now, I never raved about coffee here. But this time, I have to say something. Coffee at Orange is one of the best ones I’ve had since I came to Melbourne. I’ve been looking for good coffee but not great coffee and my latte was great. Full-bodied without the acidic, burnt, bitter after taste. So smooth and rounded. I was tempted to order a second round. I need to come back and have another cup.



Soon enough, breakfast was served along with the crispy quail. Baked eggs with feta and chorizo with a slice of sourdough bread. At first, it didn’t look too big for me, which was good. It smelled fantastic. The lot was in a small cast-iron pan, all warm and cozy. So, does it taste as well as it looks? Yes! Spicy chorizo with crumbled feta and tomato sauce underneath baked eggs. I wasn’t expecting breakfast to be this way and never had it this way too. I was among the ones making oohhs and aahhs while devouring my breakfast.



Half-way through it, I went for the spiced quail. True enough, it was delicious—crispy, lightly flavoured with salt and pepper and spicy. I can see the bits of green and red chillies on top. The lemon gave just the right amount of taste to the palate, finishing with the prompt combination of saltiness and freshness.



While eating away, I thoroughly enjoyed the friendly and helpful staff amidst all the clutter and chatter of the crowd with old pop jazz music playing in the background. The bar is aligned with the usual liquors and spirits but you can see antique radios and old records, old ceiling fans and dimly-lit with rusty lamps beside each other.



My Chapel Street adventure continued to Oliveria, where they sell almost everything made with olive oil from body and hair care to food. Some interesting finds: hard to find pestos and dips, canters filled with different flavours of olive oil (from sun-dried tomato to oregano), white balsamic vinegar and olives of various kinds and colors. The most intriguing one that I wanted to try was the Chilli Chutney. I remembered watching Jamie Oliver make one from scratch and has been intrigued about the taste ever since. Who would have thought that I’d find it here in Prahran.



Next stop, Brioche by Phillip. I haven’t had a brioche before but seeing the que in the store just egged me on to try one. I got the vanilla brioche (because the man who came ahead of me in the line got the last ham and béchamel brioche, hmph) and walnut and cranberry bread. Both were equally good but I’m more of a W&C person.

Comments