French Sunday Brunch @ Embrasse, Carlton

I've got one word to describe Embrasse--lovely. All thanks to the waitress, who made my experience worth-remembering. Embrasse is a bit easy to miss as I walked along Drummond Street. I was expecting it to be all classy, clean, chic--or, in short, every French. It looked typical at first, but looking a bit closer, it was chic in its own way. The dining area was dotted with tables covered with striped grey and black linen, coupled with black walls, ceilings and chrome chandeliers. The bar is also distinct in its own way, with shiny mirrors behind liquours.


I was the first one in Embrasse because I like to be early and like the feeling that I have the place to myself. I ordered accordingly, having seen the menu in advance in their website. Mushroom and egg cocotte with baby leek and banana and chocolate croustillant, which my server described as puffed pastry, good when served warm.







The only cocotte that I made was my own version, with parma ham and mushrooms, which was not very successful but edible. Their version, however is clean and straightforward yet tasty. It was satisfying with the warm, happy yolks. The baby leek was much needed to add flavor. I couldn't believe that a small stalk would make so much difference! This baby leek is a crucial flavor to the success of this dish but not overpowering.



This was the highlight of my brunch. I was hesitant to order it at first, but my server assured me that it's nothing huge. It was the perfect item to cap off my meal. Yes, it is the French version of turon, without being too sweet or pretentious. It is what it is. Fried filo with mashed bananas with no added flavor except smother it with the chocolate sauce for that bitter-sweet lusciousness. Just right. I wish I could record the crunch when my table knife sliced through the pastry. Best sound of a good dessert.





I haven't described any of the people who served my meal, maybe except this time. She is friendly and seemed French, but got an Australian accent in her English. She pronounced all the French words superbly and graceful in every movement. She is also curt, without moving too fast, but just in time to notice that my glass of water was half full or I'm already done with my meal. She also said "thank you" every time I complimented the dish with a simple, "it's delicious", which made me want to return to Embrasse for more. But, above all, I think the best thing about the restaurant is that it can serve good French food with style and delicacy, without all that frou-frou that people expectd and dictated on how it should be.

Comments